Identificação De Corais-passatempo?

Just_me

Hoje estava a ver sites no US com varios corais, nomeadamente acroporas e montiporas e apesar de alguns ficarem pelo montipora sp. ou acropora sp., muitos deles tinham várias variedades de acropora isto e acropora aquilo e montipora xpto, montipora xpto+ e montipora TDI common rail :D

curioso, fui tentar ler algumas coisas sobre a identificação de corais e deparei com este artigo do Eric Borneman na revista reefkeeping exactamente sobre o assunto. Para quem nao quiser ler todo o artigo fica a oexcerto que achei mais interessante e que me fez pensar, chamar acropora XPTO é provelmente o mesmo que dizer "acropora para vender cara" e mais tarde "acropora rara que tenho no aquario", aqui vai um excerto:

For example, let's return to Montipora capricornis.

Here's what I would do if I were interested in seeing if a coral I have in my tank is actually a M. capricornis.

The process begins by carefully breaking off several pieces of the living coral (without crushing or damaging the fragile skeleton) and then boiling it and bleaching it to obtain a cleaned piece of skeleton. I could use a Water Pik to remove the tissue, but I would be concerned about the force of the jet of water damaging the skeletal elements on this particular coral.

With the skeleton in hand, I would separate the species in question into one of twelve groups that designate the genus. In this case, it would be the group with "laminar species without conspicuous coensoteum ridges (Veron 2000)." Incidentally, this would probably eliminate most of the so-called "Montipora capricornis-es" from the aquarium-related sources above. I would then look at Veron (2001) and see that the characters are described as, "flat plates in tiers or whorls, sometime with columns, sometimes encrusting or forming irregularly contorted laminae. Corallites are immersed. There are no tuberculae or papillae. The coenosteum is coarse. Color is uniform purple, blue or brown (note: color is often a poor determinant of identity, and colors can change greatly. I also note that M. capricornis are mostly found in lagoons, and this may :puppydogeyes: explain the color. If they are in a clear brightly-lit aquarium, the color may not be very characteristic at all). Their range does include areas where coral collection takes place, but I have no idea where the specimen in question came from originally. There are two similar species (to an expert!) in this group - M. turgescens and M. florida. There are four species in the group of "laminar species without conspicuous coensosteum ridges." I have an unidentified species, and I am not a coral taxonomist by any means, and so I can't rule any of them out. This is as far as I can go using Veron (2001).

I do, however, note that the taxonomic reference is: Veron, JEN (1985). New Scleractinia from Australian Coral Reefs. Rec Western Australian Mus 12: 147-183. I don't have this reference. The identification guide given is, "Corals of Australia and the Indo-Pacific (Veron 1986);" a reference I do have. Unfortunately, it is little more banana rock. So, I go to WorldCat, a web-based reference database, and find the libraries that own the requisite reference. I notice that Texas Tech has it (note to self: pick up this reference), and so I will need to proceed to acquire that source material. So, without the M. capricornis reference, I have another option: continue with a process of elimination of the two or four similar species. I also note that I do not have the 1967 Nemenzo reference required for Montipora florida, and so proceed to M. turgescens. I note that, incidentally, this is not one of the four species in the "laminar species without conspicuous coenosteum ridges" category. Sigh. Fortunately, I do have that reference (Veron and Wallace 1984).

With Veron and Wallace (1984), I am confronted with ten photomicrographs of corallums of this species that represent only some of the variations of the 101 (!) type species that are available from 19 sites only in eastern Australia. I also note the range of this coral includes Eastern Africa, the Red Sea, the Indo-Pacific and the central Pacific. So, there are many more variations likely than what I see here. I continue my reading.

(...)

So, knowing that some of this reference may be dated or incorrect, and that these characters are true for the species examined from Eastern Australia, and that variations exist, I can now decide if I can eliminate this coral from being the specimen in front of me. If I can't eliminate it based on what I can see or describe, it remains a possibility. I would then continue with all other possibilities, and eventually arrive at something that may or may not fit closely with any one species, and may even ultimately have to admit it "most closely resembles "Montipora xxxxxxx." In fact, this is more or less what happened to me when I tried to identify that coral sold to me as M. capricornis.

Is it any wonder that it might be sort of, well,… wrong, to call the Montipora in your tank Montipora capricornis?

e o facto de ao pedir a membros do reefcentral que lhe mandassem fotos de uma especie especifica de montipora, tenha recebido inumeras fotos das quais escolheu 41 por serem nitidas o suficiente, sendo que destas apenas 2 poderiam na realidade ser uma montipora capricornis.

O que me leva a concluir, que se calhar tentar identificar alguns generos de corais até á especie no aquario pode não só nao ajudar mas até criar ilusões.

acabo isto com mais um quote:

Despite the excellence of identification books like the epic "Corals of the World" (Veron 2000), I am sure even Charlie Veron would concur that one could not look at a photograph in his books and be able to assign a species to a coral in the vast majority of cases. Even when one reads about "characteristics," they are usually found to be of little help. Even when one has a "key to the species" to read, it is usually of little help (although we are getting much closer at this point).

opiniões?

Posted ImageTantas plantas, tantos peixes, tantas possibilidades... tão poucos aquários! - Me
Partilhar nas redes sociais

Os corais, mesmo iguais reagem e tem aspecto diferente de sitio para sitio.

Quer no habitat natural deles, com a diferença de condições, quer nos nossos aquarios, o mesmo coral pode apresentar grandes diferenças tanto de forma como na cor.

Portanto, resta-nos palpitar qual a especie do coral que temos la em casa

abraço

Boas!

Alguns sites e lojas on-line preferem colocar só Acropora sp para não haver enganos!

Eu gosto sempre de ter a identificação certa do que compro ou do que vejo!

Abraços,

Pedro.

Luis, não sei se reparaste mas tanto a cor como a forma raramente dão uma boa identificação por exemplo nos acroporideos com mais de 400 especies identificadas, ou nas montiporas... O Eric Borneman diz que a identificação como deve ser, tem de ser feita pelo esqueleto, ou seja, matar uma pequena parte do coral, trata-lo para revelar o esqueleto sem o danificar, para poder fazer a identificação em muitas especies. O artigo integral é muito bom a mostrar como a identificação nestas generos é muito dificil ao nivel da especie e que basicamente o pessoal anda é a dar palpites, ou então tem uma fonte fidedigna de corais (o que eu duvido que seja o caso de 99.9% das fontes de corais a nivel mundial).

O máximo que se pode fazer é dizer, acropora de crescimento encrustante ou em braçosou em x..., polipos grandes ou pequenos, de cor x com coralites axiais ou nao, etc.. e mostrar uma fotografia, agora dizer acropora especie X é muito provavlemente dizer mais do que o que se pode.

de qualquer maneira aqui fica o link para um artigo do E. Borneman sobre a identificação ao nivel básico.

Editado por Just_me
Posted ImageTantas plantas, tantos peixes, tantas possibilidades... tão poucos aquários! - Me